My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Steve Spurrier and Me

      I knew Spurrier and I had a few things in common, Preachers sons and roots in East Tennesse but till this afternoon didn't know how closely our paths crossed. Spurrier was born in 44 and me in 53. I thought Spurrier's Dad Graham was in Bristol Tenn, but turns out Spurrier as a fifth grader was in NEWPORT Tenn in 53 just down the street when I was born in the Hospital there. My Dad was a Baptist preacher going to Carson Newman and had a church, Bethel, outside of town. One of his best deacons, Paul James and family was in the tannery and furniture business there. And it mighta been their son Freddie was playing some pickup games in Newport then with Steve as according to a new bio Spurrier was all over town with his Dad as his big sponsor.  In fact the bio alludes Graham had something of an ego like Stevie; or the Presbyterian preacher network wanted Steve in Johnson City cause he showed promise of taking a High School team o state championship. Fact is this is very interesting part of Stevie's origins and reads like a good novel.....And the rest of the story is how Steve blewout UTenn as QB at Florida and all the hometown pride in Newport and JCity came down off the walls and he is not all that popular in those parts anymore. Good read,right off the presses

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home